Wednesday, June 10, 2009

1st Baby Chick


Our first incubator chick has hatched. It arrived around 10 pm last night with the shouts of joy from the older boys who discovered it. Chick watch is going in full force as the younger two today keep watch to see if more hatch.

I happen to be out of town so I don't get to experience the fun, but I do get to give directions for setting up the new brooding box for this chick and possible others as they come out. I'm told "Inky" is now completely dry and active and looking for a new home outside the incubator.

Inky is a Rhode Island Red crossed with our Ameracuna rooster. Since I'm not there and I don't know how to vent sex a chick, I have no idea if Inky is male or female. I've been told there are several more eggs cracking and the next one to hatch will be Binky.

I personally was surprised this one even hatched. 21 days in the incubator was this past Sunday and I felt that I must have done something wrong since none hatched. Now, I'm just wondering if my chicks are like my boys and all liking to arrive in this world later than their expected due date.

-Myrtle, who wishes she was at home with the new chick instead of working on site.

No comments:

Post a Comment