Wednesday, October 14, 2009

From one of the deliquent blog owners

OK all, where are you. I'll update you all on my life if you'll do the same for me.


Two days ago I picked the final harvest of hot peppers from the garden. The bag contains 13 pounds of chilies, Serrano, and jalapeno peppers. I cut the tops off all them, ran them through the food processor, and then froze them in freezer bags. I still need to break up the freezer bag contents into smaller (more usable portions, since these are HOT!)

I also picked 9 pounds of the remaining sweet peppers that I need to slice along with some of the onions from earlier this year and freeze. That way we'll have the pre-cut makings for fajitas in the freezer for faster dinner preparations.

Now I just need to finishing picking all the tomatoes (this has been a very poor year for tomato harvest here.) Then I'll see about canning a couple more jars of pasta sauce. I've canned 15 jars quart of tomato soup (plus we've had tomato soup 4 times for dinner this fall) and 2 jars of pasta sauce. Last year at this time I had over 100 quarts of tomatoes canned. As you can see we just haven't had a great tomato year.

We picked the last of the beans. The boys are tired of eating them fresh, but I'm sure they'll enjoy them again in a few months. We froze 12 gallon bags of beans, so those actually did well growing in the garden from just a couple rows of beans.


Knitting wise I've finished several pairs of socks that I posted last time and a couple of scarves and a shawl. Now I'm working on a pair of socks that has become my nemesis. I've taken them out more times than I can count and finally redesigned the foot because I couldn't figure out the pattern. For knitting time, these socks have taken me more time than my very first pair of socks that I knit 8 years ago.


I also a finished a pair of hand warmers that DS4 was given on his birthday. He was ecstatic when he discovered I'd made him a pair and wore them for two days straight.


Now I'm working on a hat knit from my first ever spun yarn. The yarn is definitely over spun and varies more than I'd like for diameter of the yarn, but most of it would probably be between dk and worsted weight. It's taken me several tries as well to get it going, but now is close to being finished (although the picture I'm posting is of the beginnings of the project.) I ran out of hand spun yarn, so am finishing it with some left over yarn and doing a seed stitch with that to make it look more intentional than it did when I just switched yarn.

I hope you all are doing well. My goal is to post weekly for the the next couple months. I miss you all, but am glad that Mavis and I saw each other last weekend as our 16 year olds had their first official campus visit.

-Myrtle

No comments:

Post a Comment