Saturday, May 16, 2009

It's Spring on the Homestead


These are the newest members of our homestead they are just a few days old. There are 4 black australorps, 4 sliver laced wyandottes, and 4 rhode island reds. We picked them up at the feed store today. We also are now the owners of a incubator and will be trying to incubate some eggs since neither the hens or the guineas stayed with their nests long enough to actually hatch anything. I'm hoping that with the incubator we'll actually hatch a cluck of chickens and a clutch of guineas. They'll have to be done as two separate groups since chickens take 21 days to hatch, while guineas take 28.

My onions are growing nicely, but I really need to weed that area and finish planting salad type things in it as well. My main garden is 2/3rds weeded, has part of the compost spread and still needs to be turned into the soil before planting. I have lots of tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower, and broccoli plants to go in, but the weather doesn't seem to want to cooperate. We've had lots of rain and it keeping the ground very soggy.

I have also finally planted all but one on my mother's day plants. I received a plum, peach, and pear trees along with a blue berry, raspberry, and grape vines. I'm looking forward to having my own fruit along with all of our wild black berries.

On the knitting side of things I finished my classic lines cardigan and have started an Estonian lace scarf out of the accent color to go with it. My socks are still 3/4ths of the way finished and I really need to finish them. I'm not sure what I'll be knitting next, but I have to say I've enjoyed some bigger projects which I haven't wanted to do in the past. I guess I'll see what other big project I want to do since I don't seem motivated at the moment to do socks.

Have a great day all.

-Myrtle

No comments:

Post a Comment