Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Struggling

This weekend was a definite point of struggle for me. I think missing my oldest's 18th birthday and then all but him currently being sick is just hard on me.

But today as I was sitting in my small discussion group I realized how different than I am then others around me. We were discussing bring prayer to unchurched/uninterested in religion people as a group. My take on this was so very different than anyone else and then as we brought our discussions back to a larger group where we discussed our quadrant and others, I realized no one seems to think as I do.

I almost feel like I'm not good enough theologically to be here. Kind of sad to say when I know this isn't true, but it's how I'm feeling. I just wished I saw the world in the light these people do. I'm now worried about bringing my theological paper to class later today for fear that I'll have kindergarten theology when everyone else is presenting masters theology.

My rhetorical writing piece that I'll be discussing is actually the book "Jamberry" by Bruce Degan. I'm using it as a good example of written that is meant to be spoken and as such brings wonderful images to your imagination as you hear the words. Many of the children's books I know and love do the same things. They wouldn't be rhetorical writing from a classics study, but they do what go rhetorical writing does in my opinion, which makes you become part of the work by sounds and images.

I guess I should stop blogging and get back to my real life here on campus. It's only another 4 days but feels like an eternity with how I'm viewing the world right now.

-Myrtle

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Wherever You Are - Bon Jovi

    Lyrics that we all need to hear and believe.

    Welcome to wherever you are
    This is your life, you made it this far
    Welcome, you gotta believe
    That right here right now, you're exactly where you're supposed to be

    Not that you should think you have to stay where you are. I would be the first to run screaming if that were the case. More That I see this as an acceptance that I am not anyone else. And the understanding that another's life experiences can't be mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrtle,

    I had a dream last night that may just suit where you are at. In it I had to do some bold things and I ran across a character from my younger life who used to tell me to change, to not be the bold me I am but a more genteel person. I kicked him up the *** and told him that I needed to be who I am with my strengths and weaknesses. I had to be bold to save some people from a fire.

    God knows who I am and what I will need to be to do what I need to do. If being bold is part of me then it is part of who I need to be for reasons only God knows and He knows a lot more about my life than I do.

    Does that make sense? Don't worry about being different. Your congregation could need you to be exactly who you are, not what those other students are. Only God knows!

    HTH
    Jen in Oz

    ReplyDelete