Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Frustration with Wildlife

I love living here. I enjoy watching the wildlife on our property and feel it's where I belong. However, when the wildlife invades my animal space I feel totally at loss and frustrated with what is their natural behavior.

Last night we had a 6-8' black snake invade our coop. It ate the newly hatched guinea(s), upset the birds, and wanted to stay around for another snack or two. DH removed the snake (not far enough away for me), righted the turned over feeding and watering containers, and tried to calm the birds down as he locked things tighter down to keep the snake out.

Now I know snakes eat baby birds. It's just the way life is and I accept it. I have no problem with keeping this snake alive to eat mice, baby rabbits and squirrels, and even wild birds. But I DO NOT want it in my hen house attacking MY birds, especially my newly hatched ones that had no fighting chance.

This morning life in the coop has calmed down, but the broodie guinea hens are still agitated although back on their nest. I continue to hope for more chicks to hatch for them. But now to figure out how to keep the black snake from returning for further snacks without killing it. I'd much prefer the black snake to copperheads, but personally I'd like them all to stay out of my sight. I'm just not a snake person.

-Myrtle

No comments:

Post a Comment