Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Pests

Living out in this beautiful area I have discovered the down side of nature living so close to me. First it was the black snake eating my first guinea chicks to hatch from the brooding hens. Then we discovered huge (1.5 inch long) horse flies with in hours of bringing Tini and Izzy home.



(Note: the reins are .5" in width and the fly is wider across then the reins are.)

And finally I have lost my entire corn crop to the squirrels. They made my corn patch appear as if a mini tornado had come through.


(Note: the corn in the foreground was 5+' tall two days ago. It's now maybe 18". The corn in the back part of the picture (where the ground looks barren), was maybe 4+' tall and now is a few inches off the ground. The squirrels decimated the corn, stalks and all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment