Friday, July 17, 2009

7 Guinea Chicks So Far

So far there are 7 live guinea fowl chicks in the incubator. We are now approaching our 25% hatch rate when the one I allowed to die is included. I just need 1 more chick out to have 25% hatched. I started with 35 eggs, I was tossed because it had broken and gone bad, so only 34 could possibly hatch from what I started with.

I love watching them hatch. It takes over 2 hours from when we first see a shell starting to crack before the chick emerges. When it finally starts pushing the shell apart, it can still take 15-20 minutes before it's ultimately out. They look so exhausted from the process and just lay there as they start to dry up.

Now I'm starting to wonder if we'll get any out of the newest clutch of guinea eggs which are being brooded by 4 guinea hens and 1 chicken hen. There are several (possibly a dozen chicken eggs) mixed with the guinea eggs and divided between the 5 hens. They are now about 2 weeks into their brooding. The last two times they quit brooding around 23 days and need to sit for 28 to hatch the guinea eggs. Chicken eggs actually take only 21 days so who knows, we might get those even if the others ultimately leave their nesting site.

-Myrtle, who is excited about being home for all these births. Imagine me when I have goats.

No comments:

Post a Comment