Saturday, July 11, 2009

Harvest Time and Pasture Update


This week has been spent weeding, and weeding, and weeding some more. But I finally have all my gardens weeded. In fact, as I was weeding I decided to do my first harvest and pulled up all my onions that were planted months ago. I have about half of one of my recycling bins full of onions. They are now sitting out back under the screened in porch to finish drying the outside skin.

I have to admit weeding is still not one of my favorite jobs, especially when you have to decide which tomato volunteers to pull up and which are actually the plants you intentionally planted. I'm sure there are some of both out there now. I just hoping that I didn't leave too many cherry tomato volunteers.

Where I pulled the onions is now ready for me to decide what to plant next. Hopefully tomorrow I can take more chick compost out and rota til it into the soil and plant something before traveling for the next several weeks.

Other things I've accomplished this week is finishing pulling/stretching the fence around the horse/goat pasture. It's done and I will say once we figured out what to attach to the fence so we could stretch it, things got much easier. In the end we used a metal fence post down the center of the fencing material. We hooked a chain around the top and bottom of the metal fence post. To this we attached the come along which was also attached to one of the corner posts (10' cedar posts sunk 3-4' into the ground). This ended up working out really well.

DH put up the gates and is putting fencing material on them to keep small goats from going through the gates. We'll still have to come up with a latch system, but for the time being it will be chains.

The only other item to be finished on the pasture fence is installing the electrical fence. I have the connectors attached to the majority of the posts. I still need to purchase another bag to go on the last several posts. Then it's stringing the electric fence through the connectors and installing the solar panel to provide the electricity.

So I guess the boys will be happy when they come home from camp and convention. They'll finally be able to get the horses we've been looking at.

-Myrtle

No comments:

Post a Comment