Monday, July 20, 2009

Surprise



Late last night we noticed a new guinea chick hatching. After several hours and only getting his beak out, DH and I helped him escape his shell. The membrane around him was starting to dry onto him, so he was not able to free himself. I felt bad and helped, even though I knew I wasn't suppose to. DH and DS3 are hoping for a few more chick hatchings. I personally don't think there will be, but then again I did not expect these to be born either.

I add a second chick from the first batch back to the incubator so he would have a friend and hopefully recover from the stress of the hatch. Well he must have and this must have helped another hatch because this morning there was another new hatchling in the incubator.

In the above picture the one with the white chest is two days older than the other two.


These are the ones that hatched two days ago. You'll notice a second chick with even more white then the one above. We believe these are crosses between our one white guinea (male) and one of our pearl guinea (female). They are the only two which are easily distinguished from the rest. What's funny is none will look like they do here when they are adults. The pearls will have white heads, which in the sunlight appear blue. But they are cute here. Later they become so ugly that they are cute and obnoxious with the noise they make. It makes you wonder about my sanity because I've added 22 new ones to my mix now and have more under 4 broodie guinea hens and one broodie chicken in the coop.



And here is a photo of the lavender guinea chicks I purchased. They have grown a lot and are starting to get the long, thin necks like the adults. However, they are still cute.

-Myrtle

No comments:

Post a Comment