Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Procrastination comes in twos

On the left - medium weight Socks that Rock "Rare Gem" that I call aubergine on the left. "Vanilla" pattern of toe-up, stockinette foot and 1x1 ribbing for the cuff. These are for me and my women's size 11 feet.

On the right - Lisa Souza Hardtwist in 'Evah-Glade'. Diagonal Cross Rib pattern - toe up. These are for my son's men's size 14 feet.


What am I procrastinating from? Nursing School applications. I applied, was admitted, and placed on the waiting list last year. Didn't get a spot. Now I'm applying again. I'm finding very hard to get any excitement about the process this time around. It's not that I don't want to get the degree. It's more I don't want to go through the waiting and hoping process again. I am trying to remind myself that I know people who have had to apply 2 and 3 years in a row before they finally were accepted. These were quality applicants as I like to think I am.

Isn't there a nursing shortage you ask? There sure is, but there is also an nursing instructor and nursing program shortage as well. 18 years ago pediatric hospitals had a patient nurse ratio of 3 or 4 to 1. 14-15 years that ratio changed to 5 or 6 to 1 because the powers that be (insurance and hospital) decided that fewer nurses was a good choice. Now the staffing ratios are targeting the 3 or 4 to 1 ratio again. In the mean time fewer jobs meant fewer nurses applying to the RN programs and therefore less need for instructors. Now the schools are trying desperately to lure instructors out of retirement or away from the active profession and into the classroom.

Back to requesting transcripts.

-Mavis

No comments:

Post a Comment