Saturday, March 21, 2009

Broodies?



These are two of our Guinea Hens who have decided to brood in the hen house. We tried getting them to brood in brooding boxes, but they became extremely nervous and kept knocking over their eggs, so we put them back into the hen house minus the eggs. Well they and the other 5 females laid many more eggs this week (over 40 by my best guess) and now they are brooding in the hen house. They'll leave the eggs only to eat or drink, but push their eggs under the other female until they return so they don't get too cool. It's been fun to watch. So maybe in another 24-28 days we'll have a few more guinea fowls at our place.



These are just two of the remaining 9 hens in the hen house. The other 4 are in the brooding boxes in our garage. I'm not sure the ones which have been removed are really brooding, but we'll see. At least one seems to stay on her eggs all the time. The other 3 are on and off more than I'd like, but I really don't know what I'm doing, so maybe it's normal. However, the ones in the hen house are enjoying a little more space and seem to be sitting in the laying boxes more than normal, so maybe one of them will try to brood as well without the constant interruptions of the other hens.

Sorry for the color of these pictures, but the red from the heat lamp (only source of light near the broodies) seems to really change the color of the photos.



These are the socks I finished up last week while traveling.


These are all the key chain blocker socks I've made so far. The pair on the right are the ones I made on the plane as I headed back to MO from KY on my last trip.



And these are the socks I'm now working on. I started them on the hour drive home from the airport and then continued knitting on them yesterday as I worked with the boys on their homeschooling.

I'll be off for Southern CA in the morning for 6 days. I'm still not sure what I'm taking for knitting, but ... I'm sure something will ultimately get packed. I was going to plant seeds outside today for the salad garden, but we had rain last night that stopped those plans. So I guess it will be another week before anything more gets into the garden.

Have a great day.

-Myrtle

No comments:

Post a Comment