Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Version 3.7 of the blank of the month club

So here's the deal. I was drolling over the different yarn/sock/lace/fiber clubs and thinking of all the cool knitting involved when reality hit. Thud! Dang it hurt. I haven't kept up with what I do have and I allowed myself to accumulate much more stash in 2008 then I will be using in 2009. Rats! not possible to justify membership in any fiber related club. But wait... I saw a comment on one blog of a 'personal sock of the month club'. Then I heard about it on several podcasts.

The basic premise is to set up a sock club using your own stash of yarns and patterns. I've seen people wrap the two together in identical tissue paper packages, paper bags, what have you. The idea is to set everything up at once and then randomly grab a project to work on each month. One creative variation I heard was a person who had only 6 paper bags the day she set up her personal club so put two projects worth of supplies in each bag. She would open the bag choose one of the two and reseal the bag and toss it back into the mix.

I continued contemplating. I like to have more than socks on the needles at anyone time. I could create my own variation. dah dah The project of the month or quarter club. Not just sock projects in the bag, how about a lace project, or a scarf or a whatever.

Then I got extremely wild and crazy --- A UFO of the month club. (A UFO is an unfinished object.) Now this is one I don't even have to do too much prep for. Most of my UFOs are already in bags. Granted often transparent Ziploc bags so not too much of the surprise value. I bet I could remedy this - I'm creative, right?

Yuck, I don't want to spend the whole year only finishing things. So to really mix it up I could have the UFO/new project of the quarter club. Ah ha! I could package both a new project and an UFO together in opaque packaging. The club guideline would be that a new package could not be opened until both projects of the previously selected package were completed.

My kids would love to have their sweaters and socks finished this year. Just my luck I'll be pulling out the 6 foot tall son's sweater in July/August.

-Mavis

No comments:

Post a Comment