Sunday, March 8, 2009

First Planting of the Season

We just finished planting our first part of the garden. DS2, DS3, DS4, and I planted 320 onion sets. 160 yellow and 160 red. Then we put the 4' high chicken wire around the salad garden (so named last year by a friend because it's were we grew our salad fixings). Hopefully this fencing will slow down the rabbits, squirrels, chickens, and guinea fowl.

When I come home in 4 days my plans are to start our indoor seedlings (tomatoes, peppers, and such). I'd also like to purchase potato sets and plant those as well. We didn't do well with potatoes last year, but I'm hoping by placing them closer to the house where I can water them in late summer will help.

Our salsa garden will be doubling in size this year to accommodate more varieties of plants and maybe even get beans and such in. Last year it was mainly tomatoes and various types of bell and hot peppers. This year we want cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, potatoes, and beans as well.

Major goals for me, since I will now be traveling more for my higher education job. And today was my last day of working for the evil "W" empire. Ok, I didn't actually work because my foot hurts too much and I couldn't handle the idea of standing on it for 5 hours. This morning I stepped on an earring (which I've never seen before) and punctured the ball of my foot. Needless to say I wasn't happy about it, but am extremely curious where this earring came from.

And on a happy note we now can finally park both of our cars in our attached garage. Yes, we have emptied it of the boxes which were not yet unpacked from our move and the end of unpacking boxes actually can finally be seen.

-Myrtle

No comments:

Post a Comment