Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pruning the Roses and Other Spring Activities

Yesterday morning J and I took a walk with the dogs. We walked a little more than 4 miles along the city streets and the bike path in light jackets. At noon, as I sat in the family room looking out at the rose bushes, I realized that they were setting new growth and that I had missed the optimal time for pruning them (January! UGH!!!). After 10 minutes outside, I was back indoors for a heavy jacket, hat and ski gloves. The temperatures had dropped to the 40's and the wind had picked up. (Okay the ski gloves were really an attempt at protecting my hands from the rose thorns.) This morning, we had a dusting of snow on the ground and they are predicting 4-7 inches this evening. Welcome to Spring in Virginia!

So what are my other spring activities? First,I am in training for the Avon Breast Cancer Walk on the first weekend of May, and I have finally realized that training means getting out the door inspite of everything else I need to do. I am determined to complete the full walk (and stay off the support van). I have attached the link in case you want to help me out, or check out my fund raising progress, www.avonwalk.org/goto/sonja_walk.

Another Spring Activity for me has been preparing for an adult Sunday forum class on Forgiveness using the video The Power of Forgiveness by Journey Films. I recommend the video to everyone. It is really well put together and is a very thought provoking investigation of the various aspects of what it means to forgive and to be forgiven. So what have I learned about my journey in forgiveness? I have little difficulties forgiving other people for things that have happened to me in the past. Mavis and Myrtle, you and all of the rest of the family can assume I am holding nothing against you (not that I can think of anything from our childhoods that would be deserving of a long term grudge). What is much harder for me to deal with are my own faults. I working on getting beyond this, but I am not there yet...

My other spring activities are much more mundane. Family stuff, work stuff and trying to read more books, which is what I am off to do right now.

- Maude

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the third time is the charm. This is the 3rd attempt at leaving a comment.

    Good luck in attaining your walk goal. What distance is the walk?

    Darn weather, both amazing and frustrating in its changeability. I too need to get roses trimmed. Looks like I will need to bundle up and get it done this week.

    -Mavis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Maude. I can't imagine walking a marathon one day to walk a half marathon the next day. I still remember running a marathon with you and J and I and the soreness involved in that. - Myrtle

    ReplyDelete