Thursday, March 5, 2009

My newest yarn arrival

My newest package from the Loopy Ewe is pictured below.



I received my shipment third shipment from the Loopy Ewe today and I love it. I ordered enough yarn for three pairs of socks, plus the large sock blocker so the photos of my socks look nicer. I'm tired of the patterns not showing up in the photos because they aren't stretched correctly, so I figure this will help. Plus this sock blocker is nice enough that I can also use it to display a sock if I want as a decoration.

(NOTE: The sock yarn will come in handier than I thought when I ordered it, since I found out today that I will be traveling three out of four weeks this month. If last month is anything to judge sock knitting from I'll need yarn for two pairs of socks each week I'm gone. I'm really planning a pair of socks, plus some shawl knitting each week, but who knows what I'll be inspired by.)

I bought myself a fun present as well. I wanted the key chain sock blocker, so that is what I purchased. However, Sheri at the Loopy Ewe surprised me with an extra special gift. She included the Loopy Red Sock Kit in my order along with two samples of sock yarn. I can't wait to get my current socks off the needles to knit up the new one which is in a variegated red colorway to put on my new key chain.

I think the key chain will be a fun way to create seasonal socks to have with me on my computer case as I travel to decorate. I guess that means I need to find some left over green sock yarn to knit a St. Patrick's day sock.



I put my last two pairs of socks I knit on the sock blocker and photographed them. I like the way they came out and you can definitely see more patterning using the blocker. The first pair is from a pattern I found called wavy lace using the Opal Winter sock yarn.



The second pair of socks is knit from Brooklyn Handspun and were inspired by a pattern Wendy Knits created called waterfall. However, I don't like to knit toe up socks, so I started modifying the pattern to suit my needs. In the process I actually created a new pattern because I forgot that yarn overs would also need to be changed in order to get the lace the way she'd done it. But I like my lacy texture as it came out, so I finished the socks.

I need to get back to knitting on my Sherbet Rainbow Socks which are being made from a highly modified pattern out of last years Rockin' Sock Club using the goody goody colorway that really looks more like multicolored sherbet to me. I was hoping to finish them today as I worked around the house, but that has not happened yet. I may have knit 10 rows total today.

-Myrtle

No comments:

Post a Comment