Monday, February 2, 2009

2 socks on circular needles

Cristi asked about how I knit socks, so I thought I'd give some details here. I used to knit my socks on double pointed bamboo needles. I still do at times. But I must admit after learning several years ago how to knit two socks on two sets of circular needles that is how I do most of mine. I've found I don't dread the second sock as much this way plus I tend to not make as many mistakes trying to match sizing up now.

I use 2 sets of addi Turbo size 1 needles most of the time and they are 24" long. I've tried the wooden circular, knitpick options needles and I wasn't as happy with them for socks. Plus I must hold my needles too tightly because I broke the wooden portion on one of the sets of needles. However, I do like the options needles for other projects I knit. They just weren't a good fit for me with socks. I have to admit I love the colors of those needles, plus on larger needles I like having a couple of difference size wires and just changing the tips to whatever ones I need for the project.

I'm thinking about getting some size 0 addi turbos and working socks on them. I tend to be a fairly loose knitter so going down another size on traditional sock yarn wouldn't be bad for me. I've found as I knit longer my knitting has become more even in tension and looser. But I'm still not good at swatching yarn for a pattern. I can swatch the same yarns on three different sizes of needles and get the exact same gauge. I don't know anyone else with this capability, but I do it most every time I swatch.

I hope this helps some, Cristi. If not, let me know and I'll talk more. It's much easier to blog when you have someone else helping with your blog topic. Plus I love an excuse not to finish cleaning the couch, which I am now going to do. :)

-Myrtle

1 comment:

  1. Should I tell you that when I was shopping for Addi Turbo needles that they have a new size that's between a 0 and a 1?

    My current pair is on one 16" and one 29" circular needle. The longer one is too long and the shorter one may be a little too short. They are also annoying because the circular point isn't joined smoothly enough. Once I finish this pair, maybe I'll order some better needles.

    Thanks for being my knitting blog mentor. ;)

    ReplyDelete