Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Color Fix



Sereknity "Tree Frog" top wound up, bottom open skein
The color is rustier than the orange in the picture on The Loopy Ewe website.



Araucania - Passion
Malabrigo (worsted) - Whale's Road
Sereknity - Tree Frog


What I crave at this time of year is COLOR. Who am I kidding? I crave color at all times of year, the cravings are just worse in early February. Winter settled in and spring around the corner yet still out of sight.

The color cravings mean my defenses are lower when I peruse The Loopy Ewe website http://www.theloopyewe.com This is an online store that is primarily sock yarn. And the theory is that sock yarn doesn't count as stash yarn. Hah! If I knit a pair of socks a month I would not need to buy yarn for at least 3 years. And yet I keep returning to The Loopy Ewe site.

Once you sign up for an account you can set up a personal wishlist. I did that and then head over to the list when I need a low level color fix. Medium level need? Peruse the yarns for sale and add to the wishlist. It is interesting to note that my color preferences do change a bit with the seasons.

High level color need - watch out! Then I must make sure I have looked at the budget and get a reality check. But sometimes the card comes out and an order is made. Last night was one of those nights I could easily have made a huge! order. It was a cacophony of colors calling to me last night. The three pictured above called for different reasons. The Passion colorway for the intensity, and the Whale's Road for its multiple blues, and the Tree Frog colorway for its name . They all jumped in the shopping cart and will be headed my way soon.

Planning how to use the yarns is the next matter. The worsted weight Malabrigo is very soft. My highly sensitive son has no problem with it on his bare skin. It will probably end up as a scarf or neck warmer. Because the Malabrigo felts quite well it is not something I choose to use for sock yarn. The Araucania is likely to become a small shawl or stole. And the Sereknity will be socks as I don't do orange next to my face. Good thing there is the green of the frog's back and the white to blend in with the orange.

Off to knitting on the projects I currently have in progress. Color is what it is all about!

-Mavis

2 comments:

  1. Cristi,

    I guess I was a little late in forwarning your. But you'll enjoy it and it'll give you something to do while your littlest is napping. :) - Myrtle

    ReplyDelete